Friday, June 11, 2004

I'm back!

Had a great flight back! I took a Bonine pill every day of the trip to avoid get motion sickness, and it worked! It can make you a little drowsy, but copious amounts of tea did much to counteract the effects.

I double dosed on the bonine for the flight. During the flight I read "The Crisis of Islam" by Bernard Lewis . It really helped me to have a clearer perspective on the relations between the US and the middle east. It was about a 4 hour read for me, I strongly recommend it.

For those who care:

This morning I woke up at 6:30 due to jet lag: (I woke up at 11:30am many days of this vacation, so sue me) Perhaps I'll continue this schedule. Oftentimes, not daily as of yet, I begin the day praying through the Psalms using the Universalis Web-site. I use the web-site because it is a lot less complicated than flipping through a prayer book, though I sometimes us the Anglican Book of Common Prayer (1928 version being my preference) the Universalis web-site is very handy but I am not converting to Roman Catholicism. I do think Evangelicals really throw the baby out with the bathwater when they reject praying through scripture, or any prayer written by another believer. I think I'm a pretty spontaneous guy, but early in the morning, after work, or late at night are times where my brain is so tired or cluttered that it helps to have arranged scripture to help jump-start my mind. The very reading aloud of scripture is an act of worship. What I really enjoy about praying through a prayer book is knowing that around the world I am joining with believers from many different traditions of Christendom in prayer and worship. I find I am a better husband and dad in the morning when I start out his way. I also have an easier time praying throughout the day when I pause in these ways. Check it out: Morning Prayer (this is better than Ritalin!)

After I pray I like to go into reading scripture, sometimes aloud. Today I read 2 Peter on the Bible gateway web-site. At your fingertips you can do your reading in any version you prefer, And Safari Browser users (only for Mac Cultists) can easily adjust print size, which beats straining your eyes. At the close of my Bible reading my tea or coffee is ready.

I don't think this is necessarily for everyone, but it has been working for me.

I'm still on vacation today, hanging with the kids. I've got lotsa personal business to attend to, but I hope to take Ian to Galyons to do the climbing wall (playing Spider-Man) and assembling a Cinderella Puppet theater with Kathleen.

1 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

Jeff--

Have you done the climbing wall with him yet? My understanding is that you have to be like seven or something. It'd be a shame to get his hopes up if he can't.

If you have, and he IS old enough, let me know, cause Chien would go crazy over there!

Peace.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home