Sunday, October 17, 2004

My Thoughts While Driving Back From Indy!

Following Jesus means to fully and routinely embrace solitude and community. Unfortunately, the way our culture is leaning, most people experience neither. We never truly enjoy peaceful solitude, but we also never experience true and authentic connection with others. We live in between, experiencing the trials of both worlds, yet at the same time experiencing the benefits of neither. We feel lonely yet overwhelmed, disconnected and frazzled, but we are not alone enough to be nurtured by God,or connected enough in relationship to nurture one another.



BTW- George and Joy's Wedding Rawked- Wish I could have stayed for the Reception. Adrienne Sang Beautifully and Ian and Kathleen make a great pair as Ringbearer and Flower Girl. Now it's 1:30am and I'm still writing my Sermon! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

Piano--

Not a huge fan of the 'Purpose Driven' model (especially when employed as a church growth strategy), but it beats the hell out of being purpose-less, as some mega churches have become.

I think, however, that there is something to be said for measuring your personal success and your church's success by judging how much Kingdom stuff you're actually getting done.

It's one thing to be in a community that feels loving and accepting. It's quite another to be in a loving, faith-filled community that's committed to 'doing the stuff.'

I don't think we should be task-driven per se, but I do think that we've been given tasks. And if we're not driven by love and empowered by the Holy Spirit to do those things, I'm not sure what we've accomplished at the end of the day.

We are, after all, God's masterpiece, created for good works in Christ. And Paul is careful to condemn legalism on one hand and urge us to press on toward the goal -- or purpose -- on the other.

Maybe I'm missing your point. Could you help me understand which 'tasks at hand' you think the church needs to let go of? I think that you've obviously put a lot of thought into this, and I'd love to get deeper.

Thanks, man.

John

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home