Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day! - Want some pizza?

(some cool stuff is brewing based on this weekend, but I need to get it firmed up b4 reporting)

Wow, the day we have been waiting for, the day we have been dreading, election day. I spent the first part of my hanging out with my Dad. He has Major heart surgery to replace his aorta. Please pray for him- his surgery is on Saturday.

After hanging with Dad I spent 3 hours in line to vote. It was a blast! I happen to vote at the my neighborhood middle school, the same middle school that hosts Central Vineyard's weekend worship service. As I looked around to all the filled seets I realized that these were precisely the people we planted this Church for. I ran into many from our Church Plant, as well as many neighborhood friends. Upon arriving I ordered 30 pizza's to feed those waiting and lines. (actually, I called John at Elementville, and had him coordinate the pizzas) I must have had 30 conversations in the three hours I waited. People seemed weirded out, but genuinely appreciative. It shocked many that we refused pizza donations. When the pizza-guy arrived people were cheering. (If we bought them White Castles it would have been voter intimidation) I estimate that 500 people were fed. Not quite the numebr that my boss specializes in -parties of 5000 or more, but hey, we're still apprentices. one of the poll workers said that he has worked elections at Crestview for 20 years, and has never seen crowds like this! Many seemed very interested in our Church and expressed interest in checking it out. I had a blast 'working the crowd'. My hope is that this little act of kindness might represent the kingdom of God moving forward just a bit in my neighborhood. If so, this election will go down as one with the fondest of memories no matter who wins. I'm not assured as to what direction America is going, but I know the Kingdom of God will Move Forward. I'm not entirely convinced that voting is going to radically change things, and I certainly no better than to put my hope in it- but I'm thankful I did not stay at home.

8 Comments:

Blogger D said...

How many times can I say this... YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jeff Cannell said...

Dave, did I mention that I told Minuteman Pizza to invoice you?

9:09 PM  
Blogger D said...

Thats fine, anything for you!!!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:07 AM  
Blogger mg said...

very rock star of you jeff!

i remember bono ordering 300 pizzas once for one of their zoo tv concerts. you didn't get onstage and sing 'even better than the real thing' did you?

8:37 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

When did Adrienne ever feed 5000?

Oh. The other boss. Sorry.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:49 AM  
Blogger mommy zabs said...

Hey brother,
Dad just told me this on the way back from the airport! So so cool. I love all that God is doing with central vineyard. What a testimony.
Love you, E

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home