Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Radical Christianity

I would never categorize myself as 'radical' in my Christian Faith. I would not consider radical to be an insult, rather a compliment-- I just don't know if I'm ready to compare my way of working out my faith against everyone else in the Kingdom of God-- and allege that I am far mopre accomplished than them.

Jesus summarized the basic of following him this way: Luke 9: 23 “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." This is not radical Christianity, this is normal Christianity. This is normal Christiainty. The word "daily" in this verse clearly communicates that this process is ongoing and progressive. So for one to categorize themself as radical and someone at an earlier stage in the journey is probably not too helpful. I really like Paul's attitude in Phillipians in using the phrase, "not that I have attained all this. . . "

This topic comes up after I hear of a well intentioned parent's concern for their child hanging around a couple of people in our church because they were too radical. Is there a point in our faith where we have enough of Jesus. Do you get to a point in a friendship or marriage where you do not want to become closer in your relationship-- if so, is that a good thing? Do you set "boundaries" in our relationship with Jesus, if so I have to ask, do you REALLY know Jesus. Do you really believe Jesus is Good. Do you really believe Jesus LOVES YOU! What are you afraid he is going to take from you?

I would not call pursuit of a vital and authentic relationship with Jesus. I would not call a desire to be the people of God radical. This is the normal Christian Life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy Whitman said...

My experience is that there is a fairly constant tug of war in my own life between cultural Christianity and genuine Christianity. Cultural Christianity finds value in going to church, being a moral person (kind of, if we don't look too closely), following the teachings of Jesus in a sort of vague, amorphous way that produces a veneer of human decency without any accompanying deep change. It is, above all, safe.

Genuine Christianity, on the other hand, is not safe. It's radical by definition, because it challenges the status quo, insists that the world's values are backwards, that true freedom is found in submitting oneself to God, and that in dying to ourselves we find life.

Don't underestimate that "dying to ourselves" bit, Jeff. You ask if we set boundaries in our relationship with Jesus, and you wonder what we're afraid He is going to take from us. The answers, if we're honest, are "Yes" and "Me." We all have patterns of behavior, patterns of thought, that have "worked" for us to some extent apart from Christ. To surrender them, to turn from the known to the unknown, can be a frightening thing. But that's genuine Christianity, and it leads to genuinely transformed lives. It helps, truly, to know that when we do stop fighting, when we say "You can knock down the walls; You can have me, all of me," we'll be met by the face of Love itself. It makes the surrender easier.

But not easy. It's never easy. It may be normal Christianity, but it's radical. It's a 180-degree about face, day after day, moment by monment. No wonder people are weirded out by that, that they find it scary and frightening and that they prefer their kids to hang out with "normal" people who just go to Church and pay their taxes and let it go at that.

It is, of course, also a matter of life and death for our souls. I pray for the grace to see cultural Christianity for the sham that it is, and the walls that "protect" my sin as the prison that holds me back. And for the courage and faith to die to me.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Mark K. said...

I think the meaning of the term "radical Christianity" depends on its context. If it's used by Christian A to say, "I'm better than Christian B because I'm a more radical Christian," then being "radical" is not good.

If it's used to contrast Christianity with the culture, then Christianity certanly is radical. When God says, "My ways are not your ways, My thoughts are not your thoughts," (Isa. 55) He was not kidding. This is good. If my kids hang around someone that's this kind of radical, I'd be glad.

Mark

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home